23 July 2010

Being a light...

“We are told to let our light shine, and if it does, we won't need to tell anybody it does. Lighthouses don't fire cannons to call attention to their shining- they just shine.”

~ Dwight L. Moody


This quote really caught my attention on the blog of one of my sisters-in-law earlier today. Not only because I like what light is, and what it means metaphorically as well as metaphysically, but also because I am a quiet person. I try to be good. I try to do my best, and think that I do accomplish it frequently, though not in everything.

In other words, I do try to let my light shine. I am not as good at telling anybody that it is shining. But being quiet around others can often result in a lot of misunderstanding. Because I don't say something out loud some assume I have nothing to say, rather than choosing simply not to say it. Others assume I have nothing to say and take it a step further and assume I don't care or am altogether ignorant. Perhaps that's true in some cases. Most of the time I am simply quiet. I choose to speak my mind when I think it is appropriate and when I have the words to do it, or think I do; otherwise I keep my thoughts to myself. I'm not saying I communicate perfectly whenever I do attempt it. Far from it!

I am sorry if my being quiet offends anyone, but I do not take the responsibility for quiet inaction on my part being offensive since no offense is even intended on my part. Taking offense is the action if one is offended, not offending. One chooses to be offended, no one can make you offended.

Just a thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment